Maricopa Millions OER Project
Saving Maricopa Community College Students
$5 $10 Million over 5 Years
Open educational resources (OER) are teaching, learning, and research resources that are copyright-free or have been released under a copyright license that permits others to reuse, revise, remix and redistribute them. Examples of OER include full courses, course modules, syllabi, lectures, homework assignments, quizzes, lab and classroom activities, pedagogical materials, games, simulations, and many more resources contained in digital media collections from around the world.
The goal of the Maricopa Millions project is to radically decrease student costs by offering LOW COST or NO COST options for course materials. Courses designated as NO COST will have no additional cost to the student beyond fees associated with tuition. These might include OER, licensed online resources purchased by the MCCCD for student access, etc.
Well into the 4th year, Maricopa has saved students over $9,000,000. We love typing all those zeros. Although we haven’t officially updated our goal to $10 million, we should easily meet that by the end of year 5.
Each semester, the Maricopa Millions projects issues a call for proposals for grants for faculty to find, adapt, and create OER course materials for their courses. The current rubric is weighted towards high enrollment classes, to make the greatest impact for students. Faculty who are awarded the grants are funded for three main tasks: (1) training in OER, (2) development of their OER course materials, and (3) piloting the materials.
Phase 1: Completed.
- First-year composition I (ENG101)
- First-year composition II (ENG102)
Phase 2: Completed.
- College preparatory reading (RDG091/100)
- General chemistry lab (CHM130LL)
Phase 3: Completed.
- Introduction to psychology (PSY101)
- Introduction to business (GBS151)
- Preparatory Academic Writing III (ENG091)
Phase 4: Completed.
- Introductory Biology for Allied Health (BIO156)
- Fundamental Chemistry (CHM130)
- Healthful Living (HES100)
Phase 5: Pilot
- General Chemistry (CHM15x)
- Introduction to Statistics (PSY230)
Phase 6: Development
- Elementary Spanish (SPA101)
- Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology (BIO160)
- College Mathematics (MAT14x)
Phase 7: Development
- Elements of Statistics (MAT206)
- Introduction to Criminal Justice (AJS101)
- Public Speaking (COM225)
We’ll be sharing these OER course to Canvas Commons by the end of this semester. Learn more about the project at http://maricopa.edu/oer